New movable reflector adds acoustic flexibility
Since its grand opening on 8 November 1989, the Hong Kong Cultural Centre has remained the premier cultural venue offering stimulating environment for arts talents and quality programmes to the public, and has since been witnessing the development of the arts in Hong Kong.
The centre’s 2,019-seat oval-shape Concert Hall is designed for music performances. The hall is finished in high quality oak and fitted with adjustable acoustic canopy and curtains to ensure quality acoustics effect.
To improve the acoustic performance for the extended stage area, the construction of a mock-up extension of the over-stage reflector was carried out in August 2013. This extension covering the extended downstage area is primely intended to enhance additional reflection. It also serves to collect valuable data in developing a design for a permanent extension to be constructed in later years.
With the completion of the construction of this mock up extension, there are also some modifications on stage and house lighting to supplement this acoustic improvement project. The overall lighting system has been adjusted to provide better illumination for concert performances.
Scope of work
Macostar was responsible for the supply and installation of stage and house lighting system, motorized rigging system and complete truss frame with reflector panels for the mock-up extension of the over-stage reflector canopy at the Concert Hall, Hong Kong Cultural Centre.
- Stage Lighting System
- ETC Source Four 10 degree with Ushio HPL750 750W lamp bulbs
- ETC Source Four 5 degree with Ushio HPL750 750W lamp bulbs
- ETC Source Four Zoom 15-30 degree with Ushio HPL750 750W lamp bulbs
- ETC Source Four Zoom 25/50 degree with Ushio HPL750 750W lamp bulbs
- Starlux Downlight with Osram ECO 205W E27 HAL lamp
- Macostar Socapex extension cable assembly
- Motorised Rigging Systems
- CM Lodestar D8 Electric Chain Hoists with position encoder and 22M long chain
- Ron StageMaster 5000 Central Receiver with software
- Ron StageMaster S-01-5 1 ton, wired-type Load Cells
- Kinesys DigiHoist DHC-8-HC Low Voltage 8 Channel Hoist Controller with Touch Screen Control Pendant
- Litec QX30S Square-type Truss System
Leisure and Cultural Services Department
Hong Kong Cultural Centre, 10 Salisbury Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong